- The Supreme Court has asked SpiceJet to pay rupees 10 lakh in damages to Jeeja Ghosh, suffering from cerebral palsy, who was dumped in 2012.
- The government on 12th May 2016 has approved the project worth of Rs.1,983 crore for widening 19-km stretch between Delhi-Uttar Pradesh border and Dasna.
- Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena arrived in Delhi on 13th may, 2016 for a working visit and he will meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and attend the ‘Simhastha Kumbh’ Mela in Ujjain.
- New Delhi Municipal Council has digitalized all birth and death records now users can generate their own document copies for free through the website.
- President Dilma Rousseff was suspended on 12th May 2016 and Vice President Michel Temer will take over as interim president of Brazil.
- Islamic state (IS) has launched its first mobile app for children to teach the Arabic alphabet and the vocabulary. It includes jihadi themes along with words like tank, gun and rocket.
- The first world conference on tourism for development to be held in Beijing, China from 18- 21st may 2016. The conference holds a specific view for advancing the contribution of tourism to the sustainable development goals(SDG).
- Shashank Manohar has been appointed as the first independent chairman of ICC on 12th May 2016.
- On 12th May, 2016, Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has released the first ever laws of cricket app.It is free to download and includes easily digestible explations of each each law.
- The ICC said it was seeking an explanation from the World Anti Doping Agency i.e. WADA and the Qatar laboratory which tested Sri Lankan wicketkeeper Kusal Perara’s sample.
- On 12th May 2016, the official said that the Kenya was ruled to be in breach of World Anti doping Agency (WADA) .
- Hero MotoCorp Limited (HMCL) on 11th May,2016, had entered into the world motorcycle rally by forming a strategic partnership with Speedbrain GmbH, The German Off-road racing specialist.
Business news :-
- India’s industrial output growth slowed to 2.4 % during financial year 2015-16.
- Aircraft manufacturer airbus has selected Karnataka- based Aequs Aerospace to supply over 100,000 Titanium-machined parts for its new aircraft A320Neo.
- Metropolis Healthcare Limited which already runs pathology Labs in seven countries including India, will invest Rs.150 crore in expanding its operations.
- Capital Float, an online lending platform has raised $25 million in a funding round led by US based private equity firm Creation Investments Capital Management, LLC.
- Changi Airports International (CAI) officials will meet Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju in next week to revive talks on the modernisation of Jaipur and Ahmedabad airports.
Arts, Culture And Awards News:-
- Parwati Dutta has recently authored a book, Nritya Gatha. The book is all about Indian Classical dance forms.